The Art of Conversation

The Art of Conversation 

Is the art of conversation ever discussed?  Do parents, teachers, mentors ever take the time to review how one should converse with another?  I remember getting very specific direction on how to talk to someone.   My mother would say, always lead with a compliment, listen more than you speak, use people's names when speaking to them.  She also taught me to never ask for anything at the beginning of a meal or when someone was just walking through the door.   

Recently, I met with people that I don't usually spend much time with.   I know them, I recognize them when I see them, and I always stop for the obligatory "how are things exchange."   While I tried to remain chipper and engaged, I couldn't help think they really need to learn how to converse!   So, here is my PSA on conversing.....at least conversing with me. 

6 Conversation Tips

Lead with a compliment.
Embrace small talk.
Ask questions.
Be nice!
Let the other person do the talking. 
Keep it light.


I hope you find these tips helpful and most importantly, practice them.  You know I will notice, if and when I am lucky to talk to you soon :) . 






Comments