What's in a name?





Recently, I googled the history of nicknames.  I found that over time, people referring to "an eke name" was eventually morphed into "a nekename," which is where we get the word nickname. In Chaucer's Middle English, "eke" is usually translated as "also", so it would've been an "also name". 

Funny, I've never given it much thought, but seems like nicknames are not as popular as they once were.   At a recent family dinner, we started talking about why there's not as many people with nicknames, as there were in past generations.   We concluded that it's reflection of the sanitation of society.

What's the sanitation of society?   We defined it as the more popular term, "political correctness."    Is this a bad thing?  I don't think so.   While I am not the most sanitized or politically correct person, I do prefer kindness and respect as opposed to being unkind or insensitive. 

My 80+year father-in-law started rattling off typical nicknames from when he was young.  The list included Fatty, Chubs, Too Tall, Skinny, Professor, Dunce, Turtle, Itchy,.. and the list went on and on.    

While we had a good laugh listening to the stories behind the nicknames, it's apparent that nicknames usually emphasized physical attributes, ailments, personality traits, or intelligence.   In many cases, the nickname assigned was not complimentary.  Case in point, the Seven Dwarfs; Dopey, Bashful, Doc, Sleepy, Sneezy, Happy, and Grumpy! Besides Doc and Happy, I think today's society would have an issue with the others.  

Nicknames reflected a more casual side of society.   Calling someone by their nickname inferred that there was a history, relationship, or bond between two people.  If you called someone by their nickname, you were most likely friends.  




Growing up some kids had nicknames. and ones who didn't got an automatic "y" at the end of their name, if there wasn't one already there.    To this day when I see people from my childhood there names are  Marky, Pauly, Jimmy, Joey, etc.  I'm not sure if this is still a practice.  It could have been a local or regional kind of thing.  Maybe, society is just evolving and nicknames are becoming passe.   

Whatever the case may be, I hope this blog made you smile, laugh or reminisce about all the characters in your life with interesting nicknames.  Take some time to share these stories.  I assure you there will be a few good laughs.  

Signing off........... Beth "Cookie" McD


Comments